An abbreviated CV from 2022-06 is available here.
C.A. Claus, 2020. Drawing the Sea Near: Satoumi and Coral Reef Conservation in Okinawa. University of Minnesota Press.
***Hear Dr. Jon Pitt (UC-Irvine) and I talk about the book on his podcast, Nature::Mono, An Environmental Humanities Podcast.
Read reviews of the book:
- Rots, Aike. “Drawing the Sea Near,” Review of book in Japan Review. Vol 36 (Feb), 2022.
- Hamada, Shingo. “Drawing the Sea Near,” Review of book in American Anthropologist. Aug. 21, 2021.
- Kumaki, Hiroko. “Drawing the Sea Near,” Review of book in Ethnos, Journal of Anthropology. May 6, 2021.
- Plant, Rebecca. “Drawing the Sea Near,” Review of book in Oryx: The International Journal of Conservation, May 5, 2021.
- Bijlsma, Sarah. “Drawing the Sea Near,” Review of book in Contemporary Japan, April 14, 2021.
- Smardon, Richard. “C. Anne Claus. Drawing the Sea Near,” Review of book in Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences, January 11, 2021.
C.A. Claus. 2022. “Conservation Social Scientists in Transnational Institutions: Negotiating Diverse Cultures of Expertise.” Conservation & Society.
C.A. Claus. 2020. “How a Professional Writer Improved my Academic Writing.” Ch 8 in The Scholar as Writer: Writing Anthropology, Ethnography, and Beyond. Carole McGranahan, ed. Duke University Press.
Read reviews of the book:
- Syring, David. “Three Edited Volumes on Anthropological Writing.” Review of book in Anthropology and Humanism.
C.A. Claus. 2018. “Review of Transnational Japan in the Global Environmental Movement,” Social Science in Japan Journal. Vol 53: Dec 19.
C.A. Claus. 2017. “Beyond Merroir: The Okinawan Taste for Clams.” Special issue: Culinary Globalization and Heritage Politics: China, Japan, and South Korea. Gastronomica 17:3.
C.A. Claus. 2017. “The Social Life of Corals: Commodification and Meaning-Making in Okinawa.” Journal for the Study of Religion, Nature, and Culture 11:2.
S. Randle, L. Baker, C.A. Claus, L. Cortesi, C. Hebdon, A. Johnson, A. Keleman, and M. Dove. 2016. “Unsustainability in Action: An Ethnographic Exploration.” In The Routledge Handbook of Political Ecology H. Kopina and E. Shoreman-Ouimet, eds.
C. A. Claus et al. 2015. “Disasters, Degradation, Dystopia.” In The International Handbook of Political Ecology. Raymond Bryant, ed. Elgar Publishing: Northampton MA.
M. Mascia and C.A. Claus. 2010. “A property rights approach to understanding human displacement from Protected Areas: the case of Marine Protected Areas.” Conservation Biology 23(1): 16-23. Reprinted in The Earthscan Reader in Poverty and Biodiversity Conservation, edited by D. Roe and J. Elliott.
M. Mascia, C.A. Claus and R. Naidoo, 2009. “Impacts of Marine Protected Areas on Fishing Communities.” Conservation Biology 24(5) 1424-1429.